The Wood Badge Trail
Scouting Ireland is committed to supporting adult leadership teams, to better deliver and support the development of young people, through its programme by helping Scouters to:
- Understand Scouting and their role within it;
- Gain the competencies and confidence necessary for them to fulfill their role.
We recognise that adults also have different needs, knowledge, experience and learning styles and that an individual’s learning needs might be met in a range of ways. We also recognise that adults without prior Scouting experience will have different learning needs over and above those who have been actively engaged as a youth member. Accordingly, adults in Scouting will be:
- Encouraged and supported to identify individual & team learning needs
- Afforded the opportunity to consider prior learning and knowledge when determining their learning needs
- Provided with a range of learning opportunities, which will include Scouting Ireland Training courses
- Encouraged to use the methods most appropriate to their needs in order to gain relevant learning
- Encouraged to see learning and personal development as a continuous process for the duration of their time in Scouting
- Afforded the opportunity to provide feedback on the usefulness & quality of the learning opportunities they undertake
- Provided with advice, support & guidance regarding their progress
The Wood Badge Trail is an essential and key component of the wider support and learning mechanisms for adults in Scouting Ireland. The Wood Badge is the symbol worn by adults to show they have completed training to a particular standard in their Scouting Association and is recognised worldwide. It is issued by the Training Commissioner on behalf of the World Organisation of Scout Movement (WOSM).
In support of the above we provide training as follows:
- Training for Trainers (TTT) – link
- Adventure Skills Instructor training – link
- Group Leader and Commissioner Training – link
- Programme Scouter Training - Incorporating Induction, the Wood Badge Trail and Continuous learning – link
- Training for Associate Members – link
- Training for 18 and over Youth Members – link
If you would specifically like a full detailed description on our training for Programme Scouters click here for a copy of our Training Programme Scouters resource. You might also like to click here for a copy of our Graphic outline of Training for Programme Scouters.